UNDERSTANDING MATHEMATICS FOR AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION.
- Explains mathematics essential to flight navigation in classic general and philosophical approach similar to Stick and Rudder (Langewiesche) and Weather Flying (Buck), teaching basic principles and reasoning. Assumes little mathematical background but takes simple straightforward approach to nav math that combine both ancient celestial forms upon which new technologies are
* Provides understanding of navigation that allows pilots to exploit full powers of new technologies
* Presents techniques of GPS and other nav forms, including calculations of distance and bearings
* Chart construction, errors, uses
* Magnetic compass, errors, uses
* Mental calculations and rules of thumb
* Flight planning, especially long-range
Chapter 1: The Shape of the Earth.
Chapter 2: Vectors and Spheres.
Chapter 3: Navigating by the Stars.
Chapter 4: Making Your Own Stars: GPS.
Chapter 5: Navigation in Airplanes.
Chapter 6: Navigation Planning.
Chapter 7: A Guide to Further Reading.
Appendix: The Navigational Stars.